Education in the care and development of the human body, stressing athletics and including hygiene is called physical education. Physical education is an important part of educational activity in which the main concern is with bodily movements and which takes place in an educational establishment. Physical Education aims not only at physical development but is also concerned with education of the whole personality of a person’s behavior, organic, aesthetic, neuromuscular, ethics and emotion etc.
Different people define physical education importance in different words:
1. Jackson R. Sharman points out that physical education is that part of education which takes place through activities, which involves the motor mechanism of human body which results in an individual’s formulating behavior patterns.
2. Charles A. Bucher defines physical education, an integral part of total education process, is a field of endeavour which has as its aim the development of physically, mentally, emotionally and socially fit citizens through the medium of physical activities which have been selected with a view to realizing these outcomes.”
3. Barrow defined Physical Education as an education of and through human movement where many of educational objectives are achieved by means of big muscle activities involving sports, games, gymnastic, dance and exercise.
4. According to Webster’s Dictionary Physical education is a part of education which gives instructions in the development and care of the body randing from simple callisthenic exercises to a course of study providing training in hygiene, gymnastics and the performance and management of athletics games.
5. Central Advisory Board of physical Education and Recreation defines Physical education as an education through physical activities for the development of total personality of the child to its fullness and perfection in body, mind and spirit.
Importance and benefits of physical education
Physical fitness is one of the most important factors for the living with a healthy lifestyle. Physical education promotes the importance of regular fitness activity in the routine and also helps the students to maintain their fitness, develop their muscular strength, increase their stamina and thus stretch their physical abilities to an optimum level.
In the present world, the world of technology, most of us are living inactive life style. We ride instead of walk, sit instead of stand and watches instead of participants. Such type of inactivity or sedentary life is damaging to mental and physical health. Thus, physical education is most important as a part of balanced healthy living.
1. Physical education is essential during elementary & secondary education for the proper
growth and development of student.
2. To maintain good health and fitness during adulthood physical education is very
3. During old Age, physical education is important to prevent and treat various ailments
4. To prevent and treat various ailments and disease in old age physical education is very beneficial.
5. It is important as it provides us the knowledge of our bodies from musculoskeletal,
physiological and biochemical point of view.
6- physical education aware we about our bodies from musculoskeletal, physiological and biochemical point of view.
7. It teaches us various physical activities that can be practiced now in later life such
as motor skills for the games and sports of volleyball, tennis, swimming and so on.
8- We thought Value of ethical behavior in all part of life by physical education.
9. Physical education teaches us the importance of physical fitness and how to become
10. It is important for aesthetic reasons as by take part in physical fitness programs
like gymnastics and dance, beauty and grace in cultivated in the movement.
11. It is also important for catharsis reasons with mean releasing of energy, emotion,
tension or frustration and some people let off their extra steam by participating various
games and sports which are part of physical education.
This way physical education helps us in all parts of our life.